Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Taking a Great Photo: Lighting & Background



To take fabulous pictures that make your product stand out and appeal to your potential customers, keep two things in mind: Simplicity and Natural Lighting. Below are a few examples of common mistakes made when beginning the journey towards the perfect photograph. In my search for the ability to take a great photo of my product I've made many mistakes, each of them bringing with it a new lesson to be learned. There is joy in the journey! Below are a couple of my early photographs that I learned from later.
     


I figured if it is hanging on a velvet display in black I was safe.
The background is very simple…elegant even? I was wrong.


Here is what I came up with after getting some 
great advice from a few people more experienced
than me. This was the day I fell in love with a
simple white background and natural lighting!

This picture was taken with my Galaxy Sii phone camera. It has an 8MP sensor with single LED flash and a multitude of shooting options. I taped white paper to the inside of a box and snapped the picture outside in the natural light, but not in direct sunlight. I was amazed at what was able to be done with simple items I already had!

I hope you find this helpful and encouraging. We don’t have to be professional photographers to take wonderful pictures of our products. Armed with this knowledge let us go forth and explore all the ways we can have fun learning and growing together in the ever expanding world of internet marketing.

What are your affordable and simple, tried and true tricks to get the most out of your photos?
Please share a few of them in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nadine
    Nice blog post I wish I had this info when I started. Well after a lot of trial an error what have work for me is taking pictures by a large window I have in my attic. Either standing by it or putting the item on a table it has work great for me. You can see it on my page http://www.etsy.com/shop/WithLoveByZ?
    ref=si_shop#
    Looking forward to read more of your blog
    Zaira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, let me say your shop and work are absolutely wonderful. I love it!
      The photographs are just beautiful. Isn't natural light the best? AND it's FREE! Always a plus lol.
      Thank you for your comment! If anything I write or that others offer in the comments makes the road smoother for someone just beginning this journey then that makes me overjoyed.

      Delete